Monday, July 27, 2009

Only two pictures for now















So I had been tentatively calling this kitten either “Johnny,” after both John Darnielle and Johnny Tsunami (two great Americans), and “Snowball,” hoping that one of the two nice American names would stick. I then asked Karina if she had thought of a name and she said that, oh yes, she was thinking of “Poops.” I was literally struck dumb. In Russian, the word “poop” means “belly button,” and “poops” is apparently a little doll of some sort. However, I taught Karina the English word “poop” maybe two weeks ago, so even if it does mean something in Russian I felt like it should still draw the association in her mind. I am praying that she doesn’t name the cat “Poops” because, not only do I not want to call the cat that, I can’t think of a single nick-name that isn’t reminiscent of excrement.




Beautiful Russia.

1 comment:

  1. What a cute kitty. Hope it now has a suitable name.
    We miss you and are already planning to entice you home for Thanksgiving.
    Love and hugs,
    Gramma and Grampa

    ReplyDelete